Okay, so stop me if you've heard this one…
What happens when four top NGOs team up with a world renowned art dealer for Earth Day?
You get an unprecedented partnership that culminates in Christie’s First Annual Green Auction: A Bid to Save the Earth. Wait, did you think I was telling a joke?
Oceana, along with Natural Resources Defense Council, Conservation International and The Central Park Conservancy, NBC Universal, Barney’s of New York, Deutsche Bank and Target have been working to put together the April 22 auction that takes place at Christie’s in Rockefeller Center in New York as part of the 40th celebration of Earth Day.
Christie’s is waiving its usual fees, so every penny from the live auction and silent auction goes to the four charities. A ton, and I mean a ton, of amazing artwork and items are up for bid the night of the event, but you don’t have to be at the event to make a bid to save the earth.
Today the online silent auction launches and along with the artwork and items up for bid there are a boat-load (pun most definitely intended) of experiences on the block including swimming lessons with Oceana supporter and gold medalist Aaron Peirsol (with a $5,000 bid as of 10 a.m. this morning) and sailing lessons with Ocean Conservation Yacht Club Commodore Kristen “The America” Berry.
Here are a few of my personal favorites:
- A walk-on role on the HBO series Bored to Death
- Dinner For two with Yankees General Manager, Brian Cashman and Four Tickets to a Yankees Home Game in the Legends Section
- A one-Hour tennis lesson with John McEnroe
- Four tickets for a VIP Behind-the-Scenes tour of "The Today Show"
- An afternoon of falconing with Bobby Kennedy, Jr.
- An evening of dinner and theater with Sigourney Weaver and her husband at their New York City Theater, The Flea
- A day on the set with Hugh Jackman this summer
- A trip to explore the Antarctic with Robert Swan in February 2011 on his Annual International Antarctic Expedition
- A 10-day trip for two to the Galápagos Islands aboard the National Geographic Islander
- Dinner with New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning
- You can also bid on some awesome artwork from Dale Chihuly and Maya Lin.
There is too much for me to mention here so you need to look for yourself and make your bid to save the earth.
Kevin Connor is a senior communications specialist at Oceana.
- Ocean Roundup: Scientists Call for “Bold” Action on Overfishing, Shipping Company Pleads Guilty to 2013 Molasses Spill, and More Posted Mon, October 27, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Shell Seeks to Extend Arctic Drilling Period, Great Barrier Reef Protection Plan “Inadequate,” and More Posted Wed, October 29, 2014
- CEO NOTE: Chilean Oil Spill Harms Local Wildlife, Fishing Communities Posted Thu, October 30, 2014
- Federal Government Takes Steps to Better Monitor Bycatch in Southeast and Gulf Fisheries Posted Mon, October 27, 2014
- Meet the Eerie Stargazer, Wolf-Fish, and Polka Dot Batfish: The Halloween Creature Feature Edition Posted Wed, October 29, 2014