We received an e-mail this morning from our friend J. Nichols:
"Dude, I just totally trashed the Oceana website: You can see the mess here: http://bit.ly/9nTUhz"
Very funny, J -- and Happy April Fool’s Day.
It may be a fun prank from Heal the Bay, but plastic pollution in the oceans is no joke. Our oceans are drowning in debris and plastic bags are a major culprit. Cities and countries around the world have banned or placed fees on plastic bags, but more needs to be done.
Here in Washington, DC, a plastic bag tax went into effect on January 1, 2010, and it seems to be working, according to the Washington Post. The D.C. government estimates that food and grocery stores gave out about 3 million bags in January. Before the bag tax took effect, 22.5 million bags were being issued each month in 2009.
So take a few minutes and trash your friends, family or coworkers today by visiting: http://trashed.healthebay.org/. You can tell someone you’ve trashed their Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, Twitter or blog pages.
And if you haven't already, you can take our plastics pledge. We'll all be fools if we don't get our act together to clean up the oceans.
- What Do Historic CO2 Levels Mean for the Oceans? Posted Tue, May 14, 2013
- U.S. Coast Guard Captures Illegal Fishermen in Texas Posted Tue, May 14, 2013
- Victory! Delaware Becomes Seventh State in U.S. to Ban Shark Fin Trade! Posted Thu, May 16, 2013
- It's Endangered Species Day! Posted Fri, May 17, 2013
- Stocks Show Signs of Recovery, But Still Work to Do Posted Fri, May 17, 2013