This is the fourth in a series of posts about this year’s Ocean Heroes finalists.
Today’s finalists are helping the oceans through one of my favorite things -- food. Chef Ted Walter and his wife, Cindy Walter, co-own Passionfish restaurant in Pacific Grove, CA, and the name is fitting -- they share a passion for sustainable seafood.
The Walters, who have strict policies for their seafood purchases, use their restaurant as a forum for discussion, education, and exploration of topics in sustainability.
At Passionfish, which was declared Monterey County's first "green" restaurant, Chef Ted Walter incorporates local, sustainable seafood and fresh, local, organic produce. Ted trained as a classic French chef in restaurants across the country before returning to his native Monterey County to open Passionfish in 1997.
Cindy Walter, the daughter of a fisherman, runs the front of the restaurant and conveys the importance of sustainable seafood to the public. She helped launch the sustainable seafood movement in Monterey County through legislative advocacy, public presentations, and educational forums for culinary students, restaurateurs, and chefs.
As a result of Cindy’s efforts, the City of Pacific Grove revised its grease trap ordinance and adopted a Sustainable Seafood Resolution. Bon Appetit Magazine recognized the Walters as “sustainable seafood experts” in their “Best of 2006” issue.
Watch this interview with Ted and Cindy to learn more about their philosophy about sustainable seafood:
Read all about the other finalists and be sure to cast your vote!
- Ocean Roundup: Gulf of Mexico Sharks are Shrinking, Caribbean Reefs Capable of Being Saved, and More Posted Fri, September 19, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Tiny Clownfish Can Swim for 250 Miles, Sydney Harbor May Turn Tropical, and More Posted Thu, September 18, 2014
- Congress Advances Legislation to Fight Pirate Fishing, Keep Illegally-Caught Seafood Out of U.S. Market Posted Fri, September 19, 2014
- Sharks and Rays Gain International Protection under CITES Listing Posted Sun, September 14, 2014
- Photos: Oceana Launches Expedition to El Hierro Island and Atlantic Seamounts Posted Thu, September 18, 2014