Most people wouldn't think of turtle excluder devices as joke fodder, but this week and next cartoonist Jim Toomey is devoting his comic strip, “Sherman’s Lagoon,” to sea turtles and those life-saving devices found in some fishing nets.
For the uninitiated, “Sherman’s Lagoon,” which appears in more than 250 newspapers in the U.S. and around the world, features a shark named Sherman and his sea turtle sidekick Fillmore. They and a cast of other reef dwellers try to get along while fighting the degradation of the oceans.
Last month NOAA honored Toomey with its Environmental Hero Award for fostering awareness of ocean issues worldwide. And “Sherman’s Lagoon” also recently became a musical -- you can check out the soundtrack on iTunes.
- Ocean Roundup: Deep Sea Sediments Act as Microplastic Sinks, Risso’s Dolphins Stranding in High Numbers, and More Posted Thu, December 18, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Task Force Releases Recommendations on Seafood Fraud, Sea Otters Critical to Healthy Marshes, and More Posted Tue, December 16, 2014
- Video: Drone Captures Amazing Humpback Whale Feeding Event on Camera Posted Thu, December 18, 2014
- Presidential Task Force Releases Bold Recommendations for Tackling Seafood Fraud and Illegal Fishing Posted Tue, December 16, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Chevron Withdraws Drilling Plans from the Arctic, Peru Issues Ban on Shrimp Fishing, and More Posted Fri, December 19, 2014