In case you forgot, tomorrow is World Oceans Day. Don’t live near the ocean, you say? Or don’t know how to express your gratitude to our blue marble? Not to worry. Here are a few ideas - feel free to add your own in the comments.
1. Sign the petition to stop offshore drilling. We’re trying to get 500,000 signatures this summer, and we have a long way to go, so pass it on via e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, bullhorn, carrier pigeon, sandwich board, etc. You can also do your own petition drive by gathering signatures with our printable petition, then mail them to us. And you can sign up to learn about oil spill volunteer opportunities in your area.
2. Pledge to help protect the oceans - whatever that may mean for you, whether it be using less plastic, cleaning up your local beach or contacting your representative about your pet ocean issue. For every pledge we receive, one dollar from an anonymous donor goes toward our efforts to protect the seven seas. And again, please pass it on! (See #1 for details).
3. Help us make sure another oil spill catastrophe like this doesn’t happen again. Text "OCEAN" to 50555 to make a $5 donation to Oceana. Or you can donate the old-fashioned way, online.
What are your plans this World Oceans Day? Let us know in the comments.
- Disabled Killer Whale Survives with Help from Its Pod Posted Tue, May 21, 2013
- Oceana CEO Andy Sharpless Discusses His New Book, The Perfect Protein Posted Wed, May 22, 2013
- Happy World Turtle Day! Posted Thu, May 23, 2013
- It's Endangered Species Day! Posted Fri, May 17, 2013
- Stocks Show Signs of Recovery, But Still Work to Do Posted Fri, May 17, 2013