Nope, this isn't an alien specimen. Related to corals and jellyfish, anemones are predatory creatures who use poisons in their tentacles to capture and immoblize their prey. Anemonefish, or clownfish, are not affected by anemone toxins and find shelter in their tentacles.
This translucent beauty was spotted during Oceana's research expedition off the coast of Panama City, Florida.
- CEO Note: Sperm Whales Left Unprotected from Drift Gillnets Posted Sun, September 21, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Leatherback Coloration May Play Important Role, UK Sees New Voluntary Seafood Labeling Scheme, and More Posted Wed, September 17, 2014
- Video: Ocean Acidification Masking Sharks’ Sense of Smell Posted Tue, September 23, 2014
- Photos: On International Coastal Cleanup Day, Five Ways to Help the Oceans Posted Fri, September 19, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Australia Releases Great Barrier Reef Management Plan, West Coast Starfish See Hope for Recovery, and More Posted Mon, September 22, 2014