Nope, this isn't an alien specimen. Related to corals and jellyfish, anemones are predatory creatures who use poisons in their tentacles to capture and immoblize their prey. Anemonefish, or clownfish, are not affected by anemone toxins and find shelter in their tentacles.
This translucent beauty was spotted during Oceana's research expedition off the coast of Panama City, Florida.
- A Big Day for Little Fish Posted Fri, April 11, 2014
- Reducing Bycatch Casualties, One Whale at a Time Posted Mon, April 14, 2014
- New York, the New Windy City? Posted Mon, April 14, 2014
- Drill, Spill, Repeat: Shining a Light on the BP Gulf Disaster 4 Years Later Posted Tue, April 15, 2014
- Hands Across the Sand Posted Wed, April 16, 2014