Nope, this isn't an alien specimen. Related to corals and jellyfish, anemones are predatory creatures who use poisons in their tentacles to capture and immoblize their prey. Anemonefish, or clownfish, are not affected by anemone toxins and find shelter in their tentacles.
This translucent beauty was spotted during Oceana's research expedition off the coast of Panama City, Florida.
- Puffins Are Struggling with Warming Waters Posted Thu, June 13, 2013
- Scottish Government Welcomes New Wind Subsidies! Posted Thu, June 13, 2013
- Oceana Testifies in Support of MA Seafood Labeling Bills Posted Fri, June 14, 2013
- Meet the Faces of the Ocean Hero Junior Awards! Posted Fri, June 14, 2013
- Destructive Fishing Gear Kills 400K+ Seabirds per Year Posted Mon, June 17, 2013