As you know, shark week is about more than just TV shows. It’s about celebrating our elasmobranch friends in all their beauty, mystery and glory. And it’s fun!
Take a bite out of these fun shark activities for all ages on Discovery’s Shark Week website -- and this is just a sampling:
Are you as beautiful as a whale shark, or goofy as a hammerhead ? Find out what kind of shark you are, and check out the many other shark quizzes, too.
Upload a photo of yourself and voila -- become a beautiful, hideous or scary-looking shark. This one is my personal favorite. (Yep, that’s me in the image.)
Watch live shark video from the Georgia Aquarium. Daily events to tune in for include: interactive dive tour at 12:30 p.m. ET, a sand tiger and hammerhead shark feeding at 1:30 p.m. ET, a whale shark feeding at 3:00 p.m. ET and an expert chat at 10:00 p.m. ET.
Put on your virtual scuba suit and find out which sharks prefer splashing in the shallows vs. lurking in the deep.
Check out this interactive map of the current population status of sharks in 18 different regions around the world.
Have fun, and let us know your favorite!
- Creature Feature: Caribbean Spiny Lobster Posted Wed, July 30, 2014
- Ocean News: Brazil Bans Catfish Fishery to Protect Pink River Dolphins, Arctic Ice Melt Leading to Large Arctic Waves, and More Posted Thu, July 31, 2014
- Video: Watch Dozens of Baby Loggerhead Sea Turtles Scurry to the Ocean Posted Thu, July 31, 2014
- Ocean News: NC Fishermen Face Tighter Restrictions, Antarctic Fur Seals Hurt by Climate Change, and More Posted Mon, July 28, 2014
- Photos: Meet the Ocean Animals with the Wildest Teeth Posted Thu, July 31, 2014