As you know, shark week is about more than just TV shows. It’s about celebrating our elasmobranch friends in all their beauty, mystery and glory. And it’s fun!
Take a bite out of these fun shark activities for all ages on Discovery’s Shark Week website -- and this is just a sampling:
Are you as beautiful as a whale shark, or goofy as a hammerhead ? Find out what kind of shark you are, and check out the many other shark quizzes, too.
Upload a photo of yourself and voila -- become a beautiful, hideous or scary-looking shark. This one is my personal favorite. (Yep, that’s me in the image.)
Watch live shark video from the Georgia Aquarium. Daily events to tune in for include: interactive dive tour at 12:30 p.m. ET, a sand tiger and hammerhead shark feeding at 1:30 p.m. ET, a whale shark feeding at 3:00 p.m. ET and an expert chat at 10:00 p.m. ET.
Put on your virtual scuba suit and find out which sharks prefer splashing in the shallows vs. lurking in the deep.
Check out this interactive map of the current population status of sharks in 18 different regions around the world.
Have fun, and let us know your favorite!
- Ocean Roundup: Shark-Eating Dinosaur Fossils Discovered, Germany Paving Way for Cheaper Wind Energy, and More Posted Mon, September 15, 2014
- Oceana Magazine: DiCaprio Funds Conservation Across the Entire Eastern Pacific Posted Thu, September 11, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Acidification Masking Shark Smelling Abilities, New Fishery Rule to Protect Endangered Albatross, and More Posted Wed, September 10, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Western Australia Recommended to Halt Shark Cull, Orca Pod Saves Member from Fishing Gear, and More Posted Fri, September 12, 2014
- CITES Listing Countdown: Less Than One Week until Hammerheads are Protected Posted Wed, September 10, 2014