On migratory birds from Tuesday's Chicago Tribune:
"We're pretty worried about the fate of waterfowl, wading birds and shorebirds" that have long wintered in the Gulf's protected marshes, said Tim Yager, manager of the McGregor District of the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge.
Yager said there are two concerns -- that remnant oil from the recently capped BP oil spill will coat the birds' feathers or that they will eat fish and other aquatic animals contaminated by oil.
- Photos: Leonardo DiCaprio, Other Celebs Fight for Our Oceans at Oceana’s SeaChange Party Posted Mon, August 18, 2014
- Offshore Wind Development Moves Closer to Reality in Maryland, North Carolina Thanks to BOEM Posted Wed, August 20, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Vaquita Porpoise Needs Swift Protection, Atlantic Ocean behind Global Warming Slow Down, and More Posted Fri, August 22, 2014
- Ocean News: Barbuda Becomes Ocean Conservation Leader in the Caribbean, July Ocean Temperatures Hit Record Highs, and More Posted Tue, August 19, 2014
- CITES Listing Countdown: Less Than One Month until Manta Rays are Protected Posted Wed, August 20, 2014