Breaking news: another rig has exploded in the Gulf. Deja vu all over again?
The AP reports that an offshore oil rig has exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, west of the Deepwater Horizon.
The blast was reported by a commercial helicopter company about 9:30 a.m. this morning. Seven helicopters, two airplanes and four boats are en route to the site, about 80 miles south of Vermilion Bay along the central Louisiana coast.
It's unclear whether the structure is a production platform or a drilling rig or whether workers were aboard.
We'll keep you updated as we find out more.
- Oceana CEO Andy Sharpless Discusses His New Book, The Perfect Protein Posted Wed, May 22, 2013
- Victory! Delaware Becomes Seventh State in U.S. to Ban Shark Fin Trade! Posted Thu, May 16, 2013
- It's Endangered Species Day! Posted Fri, May 17, 2013
- Stocks Show Signs of Recovery, But Still Work to Do Posted Fri, May 17, 2013
- Disabled Killer Whale Survives with Help from Its Pod Posted Tue, May 21, 2013