Breaking news: another rig has exploded in the Gulf. Deja vu all over again?
The AP reports that an offshore oil rig has exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, west of the Deepwater Horizon.
The blast was reported by a commercial helicopter company about 9:30 a.m. this morning. Seven helicopters, two airplanes and four boats are en route to the site, about 80 miles south of Vermilion Bay along the central Louisiana coast.
It's unclear whether the structure is a production platform or a drilling rig or whether workers were aboard.
We'll keep you updated as we find out more.
- Puffins Are Struggling with Warming Waters Posted Thu, June 13, 2013
- Scottish Government Welcomes New Wind Subsidies! Posted Thu, June 13, 2013
- Oceana Testifies in Support of MA Seafood Labeling Bills Posted Fri, June 14, 2013
- Meet the Faces of the Ocean Hero Junior Awards! Posted Fri, June 14, 2013
- Destructive Fishing Gear Kills 400K+ Seabirds per Year Posted Mon, June 17, 2013