A triathlon is an athletic competition comprised of three events – a swim, a bike, and a run – that must be completed in sequence. Last week, while Nautica hosted Oceana at the Nautica Malibu Triathlon for the 4th year in a row, we tackled a sequence of our own: completing the race, raising funds, and gathering petition signatures.
And, this year, we set a couple of personal records (that’s “PR” in triathlon parlance), having both a relay team and an individual take the podium as top 5 finishers in their respective classes, and raising over $6,000 for our conservation work. What’s more, we gathered over 200 signatures for our petition encouraging the National Marine Fisheries Service to add the Northeastern Pacific population of white sharks to the Endangered Species List.
None of these fine accomplishments would have been possible without perseverance (I’m thinking of the volunteer who rode a bus 4-hours from West Covina to help gather petition signatures), preparation (I’m thinking of the Team Oceana athletes spending countless hours perfecting their ocean swims), and commitment (I’m thinking about Nautica’s 4 year track record of supporting Oceana’s mission to protect and preserve the oceans), but for the sake of being thorough, please allow me to thank the following people:
Our Fantastic Athletes: Mark Armen, Wendy Ciovacco, Jo Feldman, Jeff Landau, Brandon Musselman, Aaron Ostergaard, Hollie Sandlin, Michael Steinmann, Julia Van Cleave, and David Yamamoto.
Our Exceptional Volunteers: Christopher Erwin, Jocelyn Heaney, Janet Heinle, Michael Lin, Ann Northrop, Mark and Dylan Strickland, and Jon Wouters.
And, our generous partners at Nautica, including Nina, Rosalind, Jason, Scott, Kaite, Amy and Karen.
Thanks everyone and email [email protected] if you’re interested in participating in the 2013 Nautica triathlons in South Beach or Malibu.
- Ocean News: New Maps Reveal Extent of Ocean Plastic, Florida Keys Launches Turtle Cam, and More Posted Wed, July 16, 2014
- Video: Oceana Exposes Illegal Drift Gillnet Use in Italy Posted Mon, July 21, 2014
- Video: Migratory 'Superhighway' Possibly Discovered Between Costa Rica and the Galapagos Posted Wed, July 16, 2014
- Ocean News: June 2014 Marked the Hottest on Record, Microplastics Worse for Crabs than Thought, and More Posted Tue, July 22, 2014
- Creature Feature: Ochre Sea Star Posted Wed, July 16, 2014