Do you know an individual (maybe yourself?) with a devotion to protecting and preserving our world’s oceans? Do you know someone who is working to save the oceans in new and unique ways? If so, you can nominate them for Oceana’s 5th Annual Ocean Hero Awards between June 8th – June 28th! www.oceana.org/heroes
We’ll narrow the nominations down to two groups of finalists – for Adult and Junior categories – and you’ll vote to decide who wins the 2013 Ocean Hero Awards and the grand prizes: a personalized apparel package from Nautica, eyewear from Revo Sunglasses, inclusion in an Oceana-produced spot that will run on Outside Television, and a two-night hotel stay at the JW Marriott in either Orlando, FL, or San Francisco, CA, complete with dinner with the hotel’s executive chef!
To give you some inspiration, here’s a bit about the winners of our 2012 Ocean Hero Awards:
Don Voss, 2012 Ocean Hero
An avid scuba diver with over 10,000 logged dives, Donald founded a marine debris company (MCII) to remove discarded debris in Florida waterways. In 11 years, he has led 400+ volunteer scuba divers to remove 300,000 lbs of plastic, nets, fishing line, and trash which has aided in the release of 10’s of thousands of aquatic animals.
James Hemphill, 2012 Junior Ocean Hero
James, 15, is president of the student-led conservation group Project Green Teens. He has organized 34 tidal creek and beach clean-ups, helping to remove 2,300 lbs of scrap metal from the waterways. Currently, he is collecting signatures in support of a plastic bag ban in Virginia Beach.
Nominations will open on Saturday, June 8th (World Oceans Day) and run through June 28th. Finalists will be announced on July 16 and you can vote for your favorite finalist between July 16 and July 26th. We’ll announce the winners on July 31st!
For more information, visit www.oceana.org/heroes. We can’t wait to see all your inspiring work!
- Ocean Roundup: Rare Blue Lobster Caught in Maine, Cephalopod Skin Providing Groundwork for New Technology, and More Posted Wed, August 27, 2014
- Oceana’s 2014 Balearic Seamount Expedition: Diaries from the Field Posted Thu, August 28, 2014
- Oceana Magazine: Tuna in Trouble Posted Mon, August 25, 2014
- CITES Listing Countdown: Less Than Three Weeks until Porbeagle Sharks are Protected Posted Wed, August 27, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: 20 Coral Species to Gain Federal Protection, Shell Files New Plan for Arctic Drilling, and More Posted Fri, August 29, 2014