October is National Seafood Month, and we have a warm, rich shellfish dish that's perfect for the cool fall evenings. We featured Chef April Bloomfield's delicious recipe "Oyster Pan Roast with Tarragon Toasts" in the recent issuse of Oceana magazine. Read an excerpt about Chelf Bloomfield below, and then visit the magazine for her mouth-watering recipe!
Chef April Bloomfield hails from Birmingham, England, but in recent years she has risen to the top of the New York food world.
Following a stint at Alice Waters’s legendary Chez Panisse, April opened a New York City gastropub with business partner Ken Friedman, the Spotted Pig, and later, the Breslin, both of which have earned a coveted star from the Michelin Guide. Chef Bloomfield has become known for her embrace of whole-hog cooking – from pig feet to pig ears and everything in between – and also for her ability to mix high-brow and low-brow cuisine using seasonal, local ingredients. This recipe, from Bloomfield’s John Dory Oyster Bar, appears in the new book The Perfect Protein: A Fish Lover’s Guide to Saving the Oceans and Feeding the World, by Oceana CEO Andy Sharpless and Suzannah Evans.
- Ocean Roundup: Shell Seeks to Extend Arctic Drilling Period, Great Barrier Reef Protection Plan “Inadequate,” and More Posted Wed, October 29, 2014
- Oceana Magazine Supporter Spotlight: Jean-Cristophe Vie Posted Thu, October 23, 2014
- Federal Government Takes Steps to Better Monitor Bycatch in Southeast and Gulf Fisheries Posted Mon, October 27, 2014
- Meet the Eerie Stargazer, Wolf-Fish, and Polka Dot Batfish: The Halloween Creature Feature Edition Posted Wed, October 29, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Costa Rica Restricts Industrial Tuna Fishing, West Coast Sea Stars May Be Making a Comeback, and More Posted Fri, October 24, 2014