October is National Seafood Month, and we have a warm, rich shellfish dish that's perfect for the cool fall evenings. We featured Chef April Bloomfield's delicious recipe "Oyster Pan Roast with Tarragon Toasts" in the recent issuse of Oceana magazine. Read an excerpt about Chelf Bloomfield below, and then visit the magazine for her mouth-watering recipe!
Chef April Bloomfield hails from Birmingham, England, but in recent years she has risen to the top of the New York food world.
Following a stint at Alice Waters’s legendary Chez Panisse, April opened a New York City gastropub with business partner Ken Friedman, the Spotted Pig, and later, the Breslin, both of which have earned a coveted star from the Michelin Guide. Chef Bloomfield has become known for her embrace of whole-hog cooking – from pig feet to pig ears and everything in between – and also for her ability to mix high-brow and low-brow cuisine using seasonal, local ingredients. This recipe, from Bloomfield’s John Dory Oyster Bar, appears in the new book The Perfect Protein: A Fish Lover’s Guide to Saving the Oceans and Feeding the World, by Oceana CEO Andy Sharpless and Suzannah Evans.
- Ocean News: Great Barrier Reef Will be “Pretty Ugly” by 2050, Sea Turtle Nests Down in South Carolina, and More Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Eleven Florida Lawmakers Urge President Obama to Reconsider Approval for Seismic Airgun Testing Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Video: Spangled Emperor Fish Dazzle the Great Barrier Reef Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Ocean News: Regulators Propose Whale Sanctuary in the Canary Islands, Harbor Seals Found to Forage around Wind Farms, and More Posted Thu, July 24, 2014
- Photos: A Look at Some of the Ocean’s Most Beautiful Tentacles Posted Thu, July 24, 2014