In honor of Discovery’s Shark Week, The Beacon will be celebrating the wonders of sharks through Friday. With over 350 shark species, the class Chondrichthyes is full of biodiversity, from sawfish to manta rays and famous great white sharks.
This week, we’re asking our readers to weigh in your favorite shark species. You have until Thursday, August 14 at 11:59 p.m. to pick one of the shark species below (take a look beneath the poll for a glimpse of each species), and whichever shark gets the most votes will be featured on The Beacon on Friday with a full species bio.
Without further adieu, cast your vote, shark lovers!
Galapagos Shark (Carcharhinus galapagensis)
(Photo: Oceana / Eduardo Sorensen)
White Tip Reef Shark (Triaenodon obesus)
(Photo: Oceana / Houssine Kaddachi)
Great White Shark (Carcharodon carcharias)
(Photo: Scubaben / Flickr Creative Commons)
Scalloped Hammerhead Shark (Sphyrna lewini)
(Photo: Oceana / Rob Stewart)
Caribbean Reef Shark (Carcharhinus perezi)
(Photo: Oceana / Carlos Suárez)
- Meet the Eerie Stargazer, Wolf-Fish, and Polka Dot Batfish: The Halloween Creature Feature Edition Posted Wed, October 29, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Nations Fail to Reach Agreement on Antarctic Marine Reserve, Norway Planning Large Whale Meat Shipment, and More Posted Fri, October 31, 2014
- Photos: These Sea Creatures Celebrate Halloween All Year with Their Spooky Names Posted Mon, October 27, 2014
- Karmenu Vella Becomes New European Commissioner for Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Posted Wed, October 29, 2014
- Happy Halloween! Meet the Ocean Animals in Costume All Year (Photos) Posted Fri, October 31, 2014