Location: Belize City, Belize
Department: Organizational Services
Oceana seeks an Office Administrator for our Belize office. Oceana in Belize advocates for policies to protect the nation’s ocean resources, which are so important for the economy, jobs, families, and communities. We engage in fact-based campaigns to preserve the bounty of the ocean as a source for wild-caught fish, as well as to preserve the marine ecosystem for our and future generations. Oceana’s advocacy campaigns take advantage of our staff’s skills in science, law, policy, organizing, and communications.
The Office Administrator in Belize is responsible for supporting the successful completion of Oceana’s campaign and organizational goals in Belize while ensuring compliance with legal requirements and Oceana’s policies. He or she provides support in many ways, including budget setting and compliance, handling of funds, accounting, human resources, legal compliance, office administration, fundraising, and accountability to funders.
He or she will, among other things:
- Administer the office in Belize City
- Assist with preparation of, and compliance with, the Belize office’s budget
- Ensure that Oceana’s accounts are handled appropriately and consistently with Oceana policies
- Help manage relationships with Oceana’s staff, including proper payment of compensation, communication about policies, and recruiting
- Liase with and provide assistance to the Information Technology Department to ensure a high level of service to the Belize office
- Liase with and provide assistance to Oceana’s fundraising department
The Office Administrator must be dedicated to Oceana’s mission, understand Oceana’s campaign goals, and actively support our success in achieving these goals. He or she will have strong command of financial principles and fluency with numbers. He or she will be familiar with basic Human Resources principles and have had demonstrated success in managing an office or similar unit. The Office Administrator must be capable of responding day-to-day to requests both from the Vice President, Belize and from staff in functional departments elsewhere in the organization (e.g., accounting, human resources, and information technology). The position reports directly to Oceana’s Chief Financial Officer, with responsibility also to the Vice President, Belize. Job requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of administration-related experience
- Prior knowledge of and work experience in Belize is required.
- Must possess effective problem-solving, conflict resolution and communication skills (written and verbal) and to negotiate effectively.
- Must have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations.
- Must be fluent in English, both in writing and orally
- Fluency in Spanish and any other local language will be a plus.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Working knowledge of Windows-based applications, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Mathematical aptitude and understanding of basic accounting principles required.
- Must be able to prepare or supervise preparation of payroll and tax deduction;
- Must be familiar with tax, social security and employment legislation
- Must be a self-motivated, self-starter, team player, able to meet deadlines, and have the ability to handle many tasks simultaneously with speed, accuracy, and courtesy.
- Must have good planning and organizational skills and be able to organize meetings and social events for the office.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with good telephone etiquette and professional appearance and demeanor
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- A strong interest in the marine environment and commitment to Oceana’s mission, goals, and values