Vice President Oceana, Belize
Location: Belize City, Belize
Oceana seeks a leader for our Belize office. Oceana in Belize advocates for policies to protect the nation’s ocean resources, which are so important for the economy, jobs, families, and communities.
The Vice President, Belize oversees our fact-based campaigns to preserve the bounty of the ocean as a source for wild-caught fish, as well as to preserve the marine ecosystem for our and future generations. Oceana’s advocacy campaigns take advantage of our staff’s skills in science, law, policy, organizing, and communications. The Vice President, Belize must also serve as a compelling external spokesperson for Oceana reaching policy makers and the public. He or she will be a member of Oceana’s international senior executive team.
He or she will, among other things:
- recruit and manage a professional staff to accomplish Oceana’s mission
- work constructively with stakeholders
- advocate persuasively with decision-makers
- build strong coalitions with other nonprofits and local groups
- broaden and grow Oceana’s constituency on behalf of the ocean
For this important role, Oceana seeks a leader with creativity, ambition, and a well-honed instinct for driving public policy decisions at both the national and international levels. He or she must be able to articulate a vision, identify strategic opportunities, and then advance them through a range of tactics. The Vice President, Belize should have the experience and good judgment to anticipate and target important issues, quickly formulate plans, and mobilize appropriate resources. Specifically, an ideal candidate will bring the following professional experience and personal characteristics:
- Demonstrated ability to advocate for policy change in Belize
- Professional education in marine science, law, communications, or other relevant field; an advanced degree is preferred
- 10+ years related experience
- Prior knowledge of and work experience in Belize is required.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, budget development, and management of an organization; experience with international organizations is a plus
- Demonstrated success in negotiation
- Demonstrated experience and skill in media relations and public speaking
- Ability to interact effectively with Oceana staff and volunteers, the public, and government and international agency officials.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Proven ability to lead a professional staff, direct complex programs, and engage a broad array of individuals required
- Excellent problem-solving and conflict resolution skills essential
- Fluency in English required; ability to speak other languages, especially Spanish, is a plus
- A strong interest in the marine environment and commitment to Oceana’s mission, goals, and values
- Position requires extensive traveling throughout Belize, as well as international travel
- Exceptionally positive interpersonal and communication skills