Office Administrator, Oceana Canada
Oceana Canada seeks an Office Administrator. Oceana Canada is an independent charity established to advocate for policies to protect the nation’s ocean resources, which are so important for the economy, jobs, families, and communities. Oceana Canada is affiliated with the international family of Oceana organizations and works with civil society, academics, fishers, and government to return Canada’s formerly vibrant oceans to health. We engage in fact-based campaigns to preserve the bounty of the ocean as a source for wild-caught fish, as well as to preserve the marine ecosystem for our and future generations. Oceana organizations work in their home regions to educate the public about ocean conservation issues and to raise the profile of ocean conservation with decision-makers. Science is an essential element of our work to identify problems and solutions.
The Office Administrator is responsible for supporting the successful completion of Oceana Canada’s campaign and organizational goals while ensuring compliance with legal requirements and Oceana Canada’s policies. He or she provides support in many ways, including budget setting and compliance, handling of funds, accounting, human resources, legal compliance, office administration, fundraising, and accountability to funders.
He or she will, among other things:
- Administer the Oceana Canada office
- Assist with preparation of, and compliance with, the Oceana Canada budget
- Ensure that Oceana Canada’s accounts are handled appropriately and consistently with its policies
- Help manage relationships with Oceana Canada’s staff, including proper payment of compensation, communication about policies, and recruiting
- Liaison with and provide assistance to Oceana’s Information Technology Department to ensure a high level of service to Oceana Canada
- Liaison with and provide assistance to Oceana Canada’s fundraising department
The Office Administrator must be dedicated to Oceana Canada’s mission, understand its campaign goals, and actively support our success in achieving these goals. He or she will have strong command of financial principles and fluency with numbers. He or she will be familiar with basic Human Resources principles and have had demonstrated success in managing an office or similar unit. The Office Administrator must be capable of responding day-to-day to requests both from the President of Oceana Canada and from Oceana staff working in support of Oceana Canada’s mission (e.g., accounting, human resources, and information technology).
Job requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of administration-related experience.
- Familiarity with relevant Canadian employment laws and accounting standards.
- Must possess effective problem-solving, conflict resolution and communication skills (written and verbal) and to negotiate effectively.
- Must have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations.
- Fluency at French and English, both in writing and orally, is preferred. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Fluency in French will be a plus. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Working knowledge of Windows-based applications, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Mathematical aptitude and understanding of basic accounting principles required.
- Must be able to prepare or supervise preparation of payroll and tax deduction.
- Must be familiar with tax, social security and employment legislation.
- Must be a self-motivated, self-starter, team player, able to meet deadlines, and have the ability to handle many tasks simultaneously with speed, accuracy, and courtesy.
- Must have good planning and organizational skills and be able to organize meetings and social events for the office.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with good telephone etiquette and professional appearance and demeanor.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- A strong interest in the marine environment and commitment to Oceana Canada’s mission, goals, and values.
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter and resume to [email protected]