Blog Tags: Andrew Sharpless
Oceana’s new book, The Perfect Protein is available for sale at your local book store and online. Authored by myself and Suzannah Evans, with a foreword by Bill Clinton, this book explores the connections between ocean conservation and food security.
The new ideas presented in The Perfect Protein are gathering attention, and I want to share some of the coverage it received in the press and digital media:
It’s not often that a government delay is cause for celebration, but this time the oceans caught a break. After campaigning by Oceana and our allies, the Department of the Interior decided to postpone their decision on whether to allow seismic airgun use off the Atlantic coast until next March.
This is the third time Oceana has successfully delayed the decision, allowing us the chance to build opposition and to urge more lawmakers to protect marine mammals by opposing testing. It also gives the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration time to update its outdated standards for the level of noise that is harmful to sea life.
Happy Friday, all!
We just wanted to remind you about the The Economist's fast-approaching World Oceans Summit where 200 global leaders, including our CEO Andy Sharpless, will discuss the future of our oceans.
The summit, which takes place in Singapore from Feb. 22-24, will offer a robust examination of the future of the seas, the importance of the sustainable use of the oceans, and what this means for business.
Featured speakers include:
- Robert Zoellick, President, World Bank (Keynote speaker)
- John Micklethwait, Editor-in-chief, The Economist; and Chairman, World Oceans Summit
- Anote Tong, President, Republic of Kiribati
- Teo Chee Hean, Deputy Prime Minister, Government of Singapore
- Andrew Sharpless, Chief Executive Officer, Oceana
- David Miliband, Member of Parliament, United Kingdom
- Sylvia Earle, Explorer-in-residence, National Geographic Society
- Philippe Lacamp, Head of Sustainable Development, John Swire & Sons (H.K.)
- Tim Smith, Chief Executive Officer, North Asia, Maersk Line
- Malcolm Preston, Global Head of Sustainability and Climate Change, Pricewaterhouse Coopers
- Abyd Karmali, Global Head of Carbon Marks, Bank of America Merrill Lynch
There are only a handful of seats left, and as an Oceana supporter, you are entitled to a special 20% discount off the standard ticket price – simply enter the code OCEANA to enjoy the special rate.
- Chile Cancels September Crustacean Trawl to Protect Common Hake Posted Tue, August 26, 2014
- A Summer Reading List for Ocean Lovers: Ten Books to Read before Summer Ends Posted Thu, August 21, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Methane Seeping from U.S. Atlantic Seafloor, Iceland’s Caught Scores of Endangered Fin Whales, and More Posted Mon, August 25, 2014
- Ocean News: Nicaragua Dispatches Military to Protect Baby Turtles, New Zealand Bans Shark Finning, and More Posted Wed, August 20, 2014
- Creature Feature: Barnacles Posted Tue, August 26, 2014