Blog Tags: Bren Smith
Bren Smith – Stony Creek, CT.
After more than a decade of witnessing damaging and destructive fishing practices as a commercial fisherman from Gloucester, MA to Alaska’s Bering Sea, Bren started the innovative Thimble Island Oyster Company in order to become a restorative ocean farmer. His farm spans 20 acres in the Long Island Sound and utilizes a unique 3D model of ocean farming: seaweed and mussels are grown on floating ropes stacked above oyster and clam cages, which together restore habitat, improve water quality and cycle carbon through the ecosystem.
- Ocean Roundup: New Coral Reef Species Discovered, Seals Found to Spread Tuberculosis 6,000 Years Ago, and More Posted Thu, August 21, 2014
- Ocean News: New Minke Whale Foraging Patterns Discovered, Google Street View Takes on the Florida Keys, and More Posted Mon, August 18, 2014
- Video: Austin Nichols Tags Sharks off Florida, Advocates for the Oceans with Nautica and Oceana Posted Tue, August 19, 2014
- Bycatch Spotlight: One of the Biggest Issues Facing Sharks Today Posted Thu, August 14, 2014
- A Summer Reading List for Ocean Lovers: Ten Books to Read before Summer Ends Posted Thu, August 21, 2014