Blog Tags: Chilean Earthquake
The earthquake and subsequent tsunami that hit Chile in February were devastating to the Juan Fernández Islands, where we have been working with local communities to protect their marine resources. Robinson Crusoe Island was particularly hard-hit.
Oceana has been working with local divers organized by two local groups: Fundación Archipielago Juan Fernandez and the Robinson Crusoe Island Artisanal Fishermen Union. In September, they began the task of cleaning the wreckage left by the tsunami. Since then the team of divers has recovered tons of wreckage, including the grave you see in this chilling photo.
- Ocean News: Great Barrier Reef Will be “Pretty Ugly” by 2050, Sea Turtle Nests Down in South Carolina, and More Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Eleven Florida Lawmakers Urge President Obama to Reconsider Approval for Seismic Airgun Testing Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Video: Spangled Emperor Fish Dazzle the Great Barrier Reef Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Marine Mammal Unusual Mortality Events Get the Spotlight on Capitol Hill Posted Fri, July 18, 2014
- Ocean News: Regulators Propose Whale Sanctuary in the Canary Islands, Harbor Seals Found to Forage around Wind Farms, and More Posted Thu, July 24, 2014