Blog Tags: Donation
Today beauty company La Mer is launching an exciting initiative to support Oceana, but we need your help to make it happen.
For every new 'like' on La Mer's Facebook page between now and World Oceans Day on June 8th, they will donate $5 to Oceana until they reach their goal of $30,000. What's not to like about that?
La Mer relies on sea kelp's restorative properties to make their skin products. The World Oceans Day campaign for 2012 emphasizes the future of ocean conservation. Marine life has a lot to offer that we haven’t discovered yet, so it’s important that we protect ocean habitats for future study.
Since 2005, La Mer has worked with Oceana to protect the world's oceans and the kelp forests that they use to make their products. They have created a special limited edition version of their famous creme to commemorate World Oceans Day, the proceeds from which will help our campaign to protect ocean habitats.
On their site you can check out an interactive presentation about the world’s oceans and some of our global initiatives.
Thanks, La Mer! We like you. (And all you readers should, too!)
And now for a sweet story of some young ocean activists in Pennsylvania that we can’t resist sharing:
Earlier this year, the students of Germantown Friends School’s Environmental Action Club had an idea -- they wanted to start a lemonade stand to raise money to fix a machine in the school's greenhouse. Then the gulf oil spill happened, and the greenhouse didn’t seem quite so urgent anymore.
The students decided to give their lemonade funds to organizations helping out with the spill -- including Oceana. They also encouraged members of the community to send letters to Obama and PA congresspeople expressing their opposition to offshore drilling.
Here’s the kicker: Our CEO, Andy Sharpless, was once himself a student at Germantown Friends School. Needless to say, he was thankful and proud of his early alma mater when he heard the news.
Thanks, Germantown Friends!
- Ocean Roundup: Oceans Get a “D’ for Ocean Health, Beluga Whale Population Faces “Catastrophe,” and More Posted Wed, October 1, 2014
- Video: Leonardo DiCaprio Speaks up for the Planet at UN Climate Summit Posted Fri, September 26, 2014
- Live Action Role-Play for the Baltic Sea: Finding New Ways to Address Environmental Troubles Posted Mon, September 29, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Giant Cuttlefish Decline Remains a Mystery, President Obama Creates World's Largest MPA, and More Posted Thu, September 25, 2014
- Celebrate National Seafood Month with This Sustainable Recipe: Mussel Chowder Posted Wed, October 1, 2014