Blog Tags: Geoff Shester
The Oceana-sponsored World Oceans Day celebration at the renowned California Academy of Sciences was a resounding success. Oceana's presence captivated event attendees.
We displayed Oceana's images of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill and gathered several hundred petition signatures supporting a ban on new oil and natural gas drilling in US waters.
Attendees also enjoyed winning Oceana apparel via a question and answer challenge, testing their knowledge of the risks of new drilling operations off California's coast and implications to our coastal resources and economy if a spill were to occur.
"Californians made their message loud and clear tonight," said Dr. Geoff Shester, Oceana's California Program Director. "The US government must take action now to make sure we never allow the tragedy of the Gulf spill to ever happen again."
- Oceana Magazine: Tuna in Trouble Posted Mon, August 25, 2014
- CITES Listing Countdown: Less Than Three Weeks until Porbeagle Sharks are Protected Posted Wed, August 27, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: 20 Coral Species to Gain Federal Protection, Shell Files New Plan for Arctic Drilling, and More Posted Fri, August 29, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Maine’s Scallop Fishery Could See Closures, Sydney Harbor Littered with Microplastics, and More Posted Tue, August 26, 2014
- Photos: Oceana in Belize Exposes Belizean Youth to the Wonder of the Sea Posted Wed, August 27, 2014