Blog Tags: Giving Thanks
This week, we celebrate Thanksgiving in the United States. It’s a time to appreciate and reflect upon the good tidings of the past year.
We’ve had a great year at Oceana, with numerous policy achievements accomplished for the oceans around the world. I’d like to take a moment to express my thanks for some of our more recent news.
- The two-year anniversary of our office in Belize was Nov. 15. In that short time, our Belizean colleagues have accomplished several historic ocean victories, from banning trawling in the country’s waters to protecting local fishermen from industrial fishing fleets from other countries.
- We continue to win victories for sharks around the world. This week, Florida approved a new rule that fully protects tiger and hammerhead sharks.
- Outside Magazine named Oceana as one of 30 nonprofits who deserve your dollars in what they call “The Year of Giving Adventurously.”
Lastly, of course, I am thankful for all the individuals, foundations and companies who have continued to support Oceana over the years. You have made it possible for us to secure meaningful, positive changes for the oceans. Thank you.
Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and while we love turkey and pumpkin pie as much as the next guy, this year we're also doing something special to give thanks for the oceans -- and we want you to join us!
Here’s how: Starting today and all month long, we’ll be sharing some of the reasons we’re grateful for the oceans over on our Twitter page using the hashtag #oceangiving. Follow us, add your own reasons to the list, and see what other ocean lovers have to say.
But wait, there’s more -- You can take it one step further and sign up with HelpAttack! to donate a little bit every time someone tweets with #oceangiving – no Twitter account needed. You can share your pledge to inspire your friends to join you in supporting the oceans. Ten or 20 cents may not seem like a lot, but every bit adds up and will help us keep working to protect everything you love about the oceans.
Thanks to you, and a big thanks to the oceans we all love!
- CEO Note: Conservation Needs Strong International Trade Laws Posted Thu, December 5, 2013
- Creature Feature: Atlantic Puffin Posted Fri, December 6, 2013
- Creature Feature: Harp Seal Posted Mon, December 2, 2013
- Rashida Jones Talks Up Oceana and Belize on Jimmy Fallon Posted Tue, December 3, 2013
- Support Renewable Energy - Opinion in Florida's Sun Sentinel Posted Tue, December 3, 2013