Blog Tags: Gulf Rig Explodes
Breaking news: another rig has exploded in the Gulf. Deja vu all over again?
The AP reports that an offshore oil rig has exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, west of the Deepwater Horizon.
The blast was reported by a commercial helicopter company about 9:30 a.m. this morning. Seven helicopters, two airplanes and four boats are en route to the site, about 80 miles south of Vermilion Bay along the central Louisiana coast.
It's unclear whether the structure is a production platform or a drilling rig or whether workers were aboard.
We'll keep you updated as we find out more.
- Photos: A Look at Some of the Ocean’s Most Beautiful Tentacles Posted Thu, July 24, 2014
- Deceptive Crab Mislabeling Leads Members of Congress to Call for Action Posted Wed, July 30, 2014
- Ocean News: Blue Whale “Hot Spots” Linked with Busy Shipping Lanes, Massachusetts Bans Shark Fin Trade, and More Posted Fri, July 25, 2014
- Creature Feature: Caribbean Spiny Lobster Posted Wed, July 30, 2014
- Massachusetts Takes a Step Forward For Sharks Posted Fri, July 25, 2014