Blog Tags: Jeff Mr. Fish Sandler
This is the first in a series of posts about the 2009 Ocean Heroes Finalists.
Since our second annual Ocean Heroes Contest recently opened for nominations, I thought it would be nice to look back and see what our 2009 Ocean Heroes finalists are up to -- and maybe it'll give you all some inspiration to nominate someone you know.
Just as I expected, they are all busy as ever doing their part to save the oceans. Today, we’ll catch up with Jeff “Mr. Fish” Sandler:
Since the Ocean Heroes contest lots has been going on. I was asked to speak to the 5th grades at the local elementary school on what it takes to be an Ocean Hero. I told them that anyone can be an ocean hero -- what it takes is to identify a way that you are comfortable being helpful, and then taking action to try and make it happen.
I also pointed out that it doesn't have to be a grand undertaking, for if enough people take action in even a small way, that can still make a powerful difference.
Since the contest, my wife Deb as "Mrs. Fish" and I as "Mr. Fish" have continued to travel to elementary schools putting on educational shows that teach about the ocean and address environmental issues. We have performed these shows in 7 states this past year and have added ocean acidification as a new emphasis.
- Eleven Florida Lawmakers Urge President Obama to Reconsider Approval for Seismic Airgun Testing Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Video: Spangled Emperor Fish Dazzle the Great Barrier Reef Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Ocean News: Regulators Propose Whale Sanctuary in the Canary Islands, Harbor Seals Found to Forage around Wind Farms, and More Posted Thu, July 24, 2014
- Photos: A Look at Some of the Ocean’s Most Beautiful Tentacles Posted Thu, July 24, 2014
- Ocean News: Blue Whale “Hot Spots” Linked with Busy Shipping Lanes, Massachusetts Bans Shark Fin Trade, and More Posted Fri, July 25, 2014