Blog Tags: Ocean News
Ocean News: Obama Makes Big Moves for Tackling Seafood Fraud and Protecting Marine Habitat, and More
- In a video announcement released at the Our Ocean conference today, President Obama announced that he will expand the Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument. This Monument contains some of the most pristine tropical ecosystems in the world, but is vulnerable to ocean acidification and climate change. The Associated Press
- A former BP engineer won a new trial on Thursday. A U.S. District judge concluded Mix—who was originally convicted for obstructing justice related to the 2010 spill—didn’t have an impartial jury. The New York Times
- Yesterday, NOAA updated its marine sanctuary nomination process for the first time in 20 years, allowing the American public to have a role in designating national marine sanctuaries. Have a favorite beach or diving site that you think needs protection? Learn more about the nomination process here. NOAA
World Oceans Day is on Sunday, June 8—a day to celebrate and raise awareness for marine ecosystems. Today’s round-up features both the perils facing the oceans today, as well as advancements to protect them. Take a look below, and click here to find a list of World Oceans Day events near you.
Ocean News: Sea Star Wasting Explodes in Oregon, Monterey’s Seafood Watch Gets Streamlined, and More
- Construction of the world’s largest artificial reef is underway in Mexico, a project aimed to rebuild habitat for marine organisms and protect the coast from erosion. Once completed, it will stretch longer than the Brooklyn Bridge and sit parallel to Punta Brava Beach on Mexico’s Caribbean coastline. Mexico News Network
- Last week, Israel’s Protection of the Coastal Environment approved its first deep-sea maritime reserve off the coast of the northern village Rosh Hanikra — the first of its kind for Israel. Haaretz
Ocean News: California Gets Closer to Cutting Seafood Fraud, Fabien Cousteau Dives Underwater for a Month, and More
Welcome to the first “Ocean News” post! Going forward, Oceana will be posting a daily round-up of the top ocean news from the previous day, ranging from heart-warming stories of entangled whale rescues to new research on sea level rise. Stay tuned for more!
- Oceana Magazine: Q&A with Justin Winters, Executive Director of Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation Posted Fri, September 26, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: UN Sounds Alarm on Mangrove Disappearance, Brazil to Triple Marine Protected Areas, and More Posted Tue, September 30, 2014
- President Obama Designates World’s Largest Marine Protected Area in Pacific Ocean Posted Thu, September 25, 2014
- Meet a Tiny Crab Species That’s Not into Long-Term Relationships Posted Sat, September 27, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Blue Crabs Keeping Invasive Green Crabs in Line, Sargasso Sea Less Biodiverse than in Previous Years, and More Posted Wed, September 24, 2014