Blog Tags: Oceana Gulf Organizer
Rachel Guillory is Oceana's Campaign Organizer in the Gulf region. She sent us this dispatch.
Last month, a number of Louisiana organizations hosted a two-day rally at the State Capitol in Baton Rouge. The rally, called “Love Your Coast”, was the collaborative effort of a handful of local student organizations and environmental groups.
One of the goals of this rally was to pass a resolution through the state legislature, which was drafted by Devin Martin and Darrell Hunt of the Sierra Club Delta Chapter. The resolution asks our political leaders to:
-Urge all state and federal authorities to commit all resources to stopping the leak, and protecting, cleaning, and restoring our shores;
-Urge the state to use all legal means to get all affected individuals and businesses swiftly and justly compensated;
-Present a strategy for the prevention of another drilling disaster and it's economic consequences by prioritizing economic diversification, clean energy development, and safer and more environmentally stringent drilling regulations.
- Ocean News: Barbuda Becomes Ocean Conservation Leader in the Caribbean, July Ocean Temperatures Hit Record Highs, and More Posted Tue, August 19, 2014
- Dusky’s Big Adventure, Day 4: Dusky Creates “Dusky’s Bucket List” to Save His Species Posted Thu, August 14, 2014
- CITES Listing Countdown: Less Than One Month until Manta Rays are Protected Posted Wed, August 20, 2014
- CEO Note: Progress for Sharks Posted Fri, August 15, 2014
- Photos: Oceana’s Balearic Expedition Confirms Need for Expanded Marine Protected Areas Posted Tue, August 19, 2014