Blog Tags: Scared For Sharks
For her second “Scared for Sharks” PSA, “Mad Men” star January Jones joined Oceana in Belize to swim with the largest fish in the ocean: the whale shark.
Last spring, I traveled with Oceana to Belize’s Gladden Spit Marine Reserve to photograph and film whale sharks for the new "Scared for Sharks" PSA. It was my second time swimming with sharks, so I wasn’t as nervous, especially since whale sharks, like most sharks, are not a threat to humans.
It’s humans, in fact, who pose the greater risk to sharks because of our insatiable desire for shark fins, shark livers, shark teeth and every other shark product you can think of. Scientists say that tens of millions of sharks are killed every year for their fins, which is directly causing some shark populations around the world to crash.
Watch Oceana spokeswoman January Jones journey to Belize on a La Mer-sponsored dive.
The Golden Globe nominees were announced this morning, and to almost noone's surprise, AMC's "Mad Men" was nominated for Best Drama TV series, and January Jones was nominated for Best Actress in a TV Drama for the second time.
As any "Mad Men" fan can attest, this season Jones's character, Betty Draper, finally came into her own. From her escapist romp in Rome with Don to her escalating indiscretions, Betty's restless dissatisfation finally reached a boiling point. So let's hope she wins the praise she deserves for her stellar performance. Good luck, January!
And in case you haven't seen it, see why J.J. is scared for sharks in the PSA she did for us.
- Bycatch Spotlight: One of the Biggest Issues Facing Sharks Today Posted Thu, August 14, 2014
- New Report Touts Economic Benefits of Seafood Traceability Posted Mon, August 18, 2014
- Ocean News: Nicaragua Dispatches Military to Protect Baby Turtles, New Zealand Bans Shark Finning, and More Posted Wed, August 20, 2014
- Dusky’s Big Adventure, Day 5: Dusky Asks for Help to Complete His Bucket List Posted Thu, August 14, 2014
- Photos: Leonardo DiCaprio, Other Celebs Fight for Our Oceans at Oceana’s SeaChange Party Posted Mon, August 18, 2014