Blog Tags: Scared For Sharks
For her second “Scared for Sharks” PSA, “Mad Men” star January Jones joined Oceana in Belize to swim with the largest fish in the ocean: the whale shark.
Last spring, I traveled with Oceana to Belize’s Gladden Spit Marine Reserve to photograph and film whale sharks for the new "Scared for Sharks" PSA. It was my second time swimming with sharks, so I wasn’t as nervous, especially since whale sharks, like most sharks, are not a threat to humans.
It’s humans, in fact, who pose the greater risk to sharks because of our insatiable desire for shark fins, shark livers, shark teeth and every other shark product you can think of. Scientists say that tens of millions of sharks are killed every year for their fins, which is directly causing some shark populations around the world to crash.
Watch Oceana spokeswoman January Jones journey to Belize on a La Mer-sponsored dive.
The Golden Globe nominees were announced this morning, and to almost noone's surprise, AMC's "Mad Men" was nominated for Best Drama TV series, and January Jones was nominated for Best Actress in a TV Drama for the second time.
As any "Mad Men" fan can attest, this season Jones's character, Betty Draper, finally came into her own. From her escapist romp in Rome with Don to her escalating indiscretions, Betty's restless dissatisfation finally reached a boiling point. So let's hope she wins the praise she deserves for her stellar performance. Good luck, January!
And in case you haven't seen it, see why J.J. is scared for sharks in the PSA she did for us.
- Ocean Roundup: Chevron Withdraws Drilling Plans from the Arctic, Peru Issues Ban on Shrimp Fishing, and More Posted Fri, December 19, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Humpback Whales Communicate to Feed at Night, Bangladesh Oil Spill Threatening Sundarbans Mangroves, and More Posted Wed, December 17, 2014
- Holiday Creature Feature: Christmas Tree Worm and Candy Cane Shrimp Posted Fri, December 19, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Filefish Use Chemical Scent to Camouflage, Bangladesh Oil Spill Threatening Endangered Dolphins, and More Posted Mon, December 15, 2014
- Act: GrubHub, Take Shark Fin Off the Menu! Posted Wed, December 17, 2014