Blog Tags: Tony Wu
Photographer Tony Wu has a cool story up on his blog today. While shooting a large manta ray near Sri Lanka earlier this week, he was suddenly accosted by the normally-peaceful animal. The manta ray emitted a weird screeching noise as it headbutted him, telling him in no uncertain terms to back off. Tony swam away with what he jokingly calls "the first documented case of 'manta burn.'"
Tony describes the sound on his blog, but can't track down any documented reports of manta rays making any noise at all. Our own Explore section says mantas are sometimes "sociable with divers," though - perhaps Tony just got this one on an off day.
- Ocean Roundup: New Coral Reef Species Discovered, Seals Found to Spread Tuberculosis 6,000 Years Ago, and More Posted Thu, August 21, 2014
- Ocean News: New Minke Whale Foraging Patterns Discovered, Google Street View Takes on the Florida Keys, and More Posted Mon, August 18, 2014
- Video: Austin Nichols Tags Sharks off Florida, Advocates for the Oceans with Nautica and Oceana Posted Tue, August 19, 2014
- Bycatch Spotlight: One of the Biggest Issues Facing Sharks Today Posted Thu, August 14, 2014
- A Summer Reading List for Ocean Lovers: Ten Books to Read before Summer Ends Posted Thu, August 21, 2014