Location: Washington, D.C.
Department: Science & Policy
Oceana, an international conservation organization dedicated to protecting the world’s oceans, is seeking a Campaign Director for its Washington, DC office. The Campaign Director will lead a multidisciplinary team to plan, develop, implement and win Oceana’s policy campaigns on fisheries issues. Candidates must have experience working on and leading policy campaigns designed to make changes in fisheries policy, or a related field. To be successful, the candidate should be a skilled and experienced manager, a strategic thinker, and have background on fisheries management and wildlife conservation. The campaign director will report to the Deputy Vice President for U.S. Campaigns.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead in the development and implementation of campaign programs and projects
- Lead the development of annual and longer term campaign goals
- Lead and manage a team consisting of scientist(s), advocates, communications professionals, lawyers and others to achieve campaign goals
- Develop advocacy, communications, outreach and legal strategies to achieve the goals of the campaign
- Establish Oceana leadership on campaign issues
- Develop campaign messages, strategies and materials
- Serve as spokesperson for the campaign and related issues to the press
- Lead in the planning and implementation of events
- Manage outside relationships with partners, vendors, and decision-makers
- Manage the research and writing of reports, papers, and other materials
- Maintain a working knowledge of related science and policy practices
- Develop and manage campaign budget.
- Assist in fundraising for campaign projects and programs.
- Other responsibilities as appropriate and necessary to achieve campaign objectives
Successful Candidate Will Have:
- Seven (7) years of related professional experience including at least three (3) years managing staff and teams.
- Must have exceptional management skills with proven ability to lead a professional staff and ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Experience completing projects under tight deadlines and effectively managing a demanding work load, multi-task and take on projects, and the capability to effectively lead a campaign team.
- Desire and ability to advocate for complex, aggressive conservation positions in both small and large settings; possess strong oral and written communication skills, and a keen analytical ability.
- Strong writing and communications skills
- Some travel is required
- Graduate or law degree and fluency in Spanish a plus
Oceana provides a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive health, dental, vision, and 403(b) plan, and generous leave.