Location: Washington, DC
Department: Marketing & Communications
Oceana is an international organization which focuses solely on oceans, and is dedicated to achieving measurable change by conducting scientific, fact-based campaigns with fixed deadlines and articulated goals. Oceana is dedicated to its advocacy on behalf of oceans and channels their resources in strategic-directed campaigns to achiever measurable outcomes that will help return our oceans to former levels of abundance. These campaigns are regional and international, led by teams of dedicated and talented scientist, economists, lawyers and advocates focused on measuring and achieving tangible results for the oceans.
Currently, Oceana is seeking an Executive Assistant to the Senior Vice President of Marketing and Communications (SVP) who will provide principal administrative and project support to the SVP. The Executive Assistant handles confidential matters, facilitates departmental information exchange, and maintains a collaborative alliance with internal and external constituents. The Executive Assistant manages a varied, fast paced, high volume workload and works independently to meet deadlines and accomplish tasks.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as a first point of contact for SVP with internal colleagues and external constituents, vendors, and others. Uses a high degree of judgment to handle correspondence and phone inquiries, speeding response and minimizing SVP handling. Also drafts correspondence for SVP’s signature. Manages workflow requiring approval/feedback/input from SVP. Also drafts correspondence, briefings, meeting memos, departmental reports and presentations.
- Coordinates special project initiatives commissioned by SVP from notice to completion. This includes welcoming and directing new staff, assembling appropriate staff members for meetings, scheduling and attending meetings, completing appropriate tasks, engaging outside stakeholders, and providing SVP with periodic updates.
- Organizes, manages and handles follow-up for Marketing Communications departmental meetings (including with international colleagues).
- Works with SVP to track follow-up and assignments given to direct reports.
- Manages the day-to-day administrative functions of Oceana’s Marketing and Communications group. The Executive Assistant coordinates and maintains relationships with internal and external vendors to ensure timely satisfaction of invoices, expense reports, and subscriptions (and to handle approval of employee expense reports and invoices generated by vendors managed by employees and requiring approval by SVP).
- Handles research assignments for the SVP using the Internet, Oceana’s library, and other sources.
- Performs additional duties as needed and/or assigned.
Education/Experience or Other Requirements
- College degree, equivalent combination of education and administrative experience required.
- Must have excellent computer skills, including proficiency using word-processing, spreadsheet, and scheduling software. Microsoft Office Suite experience required.
- Must have the ability to handle many tasks simultaneously, with speed, accuracy, and courtesy, show initiative, and exhibit exceptional level of insightful planning and understanding of abstract concepts.
- Must possess good organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be willing to accept varied workload, including travel and working outside of normal work-week hours.
- Must maintain strict confidentiality in working with sensitive data, and possess excellent judgment in handling communications, expenses, budgets, other issues and personal relationships.
- Must be able to successfully, diplomatically and tactfully handle inquiries from Oceana’s board members and celebrity supporters.
- Must be a team player, who can build and maintain trust and confidence of all staff including CEO, Executive Committee members.
- Ability to take initiative in suggesting ways to augment work and responsibilities of position to accomplish Oceana’s goals.
- Must be able to represent Oceana in a professional and responsive manner.
Oceana offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) retirement plan and generous leave. Oceana is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).