Location: Washington, DC
Department: Marketing & Communications
OCEANA is an international organization which focuses solely on oceans, and conducts scientific, fact-based campaigns with fixed goals and deadlines. These campaigns are led by teams of scientists, economists, lawyers and advocates to restore and protect the world's oceans.
Oceana is seeking a Media Relations Intern for its Washington, D.C. office. This person will be responsible for researching campaign issues, drafting blog posts, editing reports and tracking and summarizing media coverage of our campaigns. The position requires someone who is detail-oriented, team-oriented, organized, interested in conservation issues and familiar with news organizations.
- Tracking, formatting and summarizing media coverage for Oceana's North American campaigns
- Assisting with quarterly reports to Oceana’s executive team and board members
- Drafting and pitching guest blog posts by Oceana experts on various campaign issues
- Issue research and technology assistance
- Motivated, self-starter who takes initiative in completing tasks
- Administrative duties
- College degree
- Journalism or media relations experience is a plus but not required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of environmental issues preferred
Oceana prefers that interns be available to work 40 hours a week for 3-6 months. This is a paid internship. Oceana accepts interns who receive academic credit for their internship. Both recent graduates and graduate students are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and are reviewed periodically. Our internships do not always align with the academic calendar. Be aware that your cover letter is viewed as a writing sample and please highlight why your experience is a good fit for this position. Also include the dates you are available.