Author: Angela Pauly
Date: December 28, 2012
We want to end this year on a high note and not with a doom and gloom scenario for our oceans.
Yes, they are in trouble, yes overfishing continues, and yes, we have a long way to go before the EU truly embraces sustainable fisheries.
But you know what? Amidst all the bad news, so much good has happened in 2012. Here are some of our favorite achievements of the year.
- EU Parliamentarians voted through a strong Common Fisheries Policy reform setting the EU on a path to sustainable fisheries
- Shark finning ban in EU waters and by the European fleet in all oceans
- Shark finning ban applied to all Mediterranean countries
- Multiannual management plan for Baltic salmon
- Fisheries for endangered seatrout were banned in the Gulf of Finland
- Total protection for 10 sharks and rays in the Mediterranean
- 50 new marine species protected by Spanish law
So many more great things happened in the EU, and around the world and this is in no way an exhaustive list, just some of the highlights. We are proud to have contributed these ocean victories. Our teams work hard every day to fight for our oceans and we thank you immensely for your support.