- Sharks must be landed with their fins attached.
- The capture of commercially exploited shark species by EU vessels must be regulated under the Common Fisheries Policy, with fishing limits and quotas.
- Shark fisheries must be controlled wherever the EU fleet operates – in European waters and worldwide.
- Migratory shark species exploited on the high seas must be regulated with catch limits and quotas.
- Effective management measures for bycatch reduction must be introduced.
- Shark discards must be eliminated.
- Vessels taking sharks must have independent observer coverage on board.
- Distinct trade statistics for shark products (meat, fins and liver oil), differentiated by species, must be developed.
- Endangered shark species must be added to international conventions and national legislation that limit or prevent catches and trade.
- A European Plan of Action for Sharks must be implemented.