1. For the third year in a row, Oceana was awarded Charity Navigator’s highest rating of four stars. The top ranking reflects Oceana’s efficiency and effectiveness. Only a minority of non-profit organization evaluated by Charity Navigator earn the four-star rating.
2. Oceana launched the 2011 summer expedition of the Oceana Ranger, Oceana’s research catamaran. This year, the Ranger’s crew of scientists, divers and campaigners studied seamounts and underwater canyons in the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean around the Iberian Peninsula. Despite their proximity to Europe’s many ports, these areas are little-studied. After two months at sea, the Ranger returned to Spain with photographs, video and ROV footage of rarely-seen marine wildlife and ecosystems.
3. On June 8, World Oceans Day, Oceana staff and volunteers participated in coastline clean-ups in New York City’s Hudson River and Washington, D.C.’s Anacostia River. In part of an event with Nautica and the Anacostia Watershed Society, the volunteers picked up everything from broken bottles to an abandoned tire.
4. In March, Oceana hosted a roundtable meeting of 10 major conservation organizations at its Washington, D.C., headquarters with World Trade Organization Director-General Pascal Lamy. “Trade and the environment can be mutually supportive,” Lamy said. “We now have an opportunity to strengthen this link by delivering on the environment mandate of the Doha Round.”
5. Longtime Oceana supporter Sir Thomas Moore contributed a matching grant of $100,000 toward Oceana’s campaign to end trawling in Belize as part of the Christie’s Green Auction in April. Moore’s donation went to good use, allowing Oceana to finalize a trawling ban in Belize with the buyout of the country’s last trawlers.
6. Oceana again teamed up with GQ and Nautica as a part of the magazine’s Gentleman’s Fund. Actor Josh Lucas traveled to Oregon to explore the region’s spectacular coastline with Oceana this year. For more information, and to view video from Lucas’s trip, visit www.thegentlemensfund.com.