1. Oceana was a promotional partner of the film “Big Miracle”, starring Drew Barrymore, John Krasinski(“The Office”) and Oceana board member Ted Danson, about the true story of three gray whales trapped inthe ice off northern Alaska.
2. After campaigning by Oceana, the French supermarket chain Intermarché, the 4th largest chain in France (with over 1,800 stores) agreed to provide information to their customers on mercury contamination risks from eating certain types of seafood.
3. The World Bank announced a new international alliance, the Global Partnerships for the Oceans, and Oceana is a member. News of the alliance was first announced at the World Oceans Summit in Singapore, which brought together many of the world’s leaders in ocean conservation including Oceana CEO Andy Sharpless.
4. Royal Dutch Shell filed a lawsuit against a group of environmental groups, including Oceana, in an attempt to prevent the group from challenging the company’s oil spill response plan in the Arctic.
5. In April, Oceana CEO Andy Sharpless delivered a presentation at the TedxSF conference about how saving the oceans can be a solution to world hunger. The well-received presentation is now available online, including at www.oceana.org/feedtheworld .
6. Oceana released a new report documenting widespread seafood mislabeling in the Los Angeles area. DNA testing confirmed that 55 percent of the seafood our campaigners sampled was mislabeled.