I’d like to give you a sneak peak at the first international green charity auction to be held on the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, April 22, 2010.
Christie’s International has invited four leading nonprofits to be the beneficiaries of its first charity auction for conservation: Oceana, Conservation International, the Natural Resources Defense Council and the Central Park Conservancy. Between us, we work on all seven continents – and, of course, the oceans in between.
A Bid to Save The Earth will include a live auction at Christie’s New York City space in Rockefeller Center as well as a silent auction conducted online at Charity Buzz. Every item up for bid is donated, and Christie’s is waiving all its usual fees to allow the maximum impact for the beneficiaries.
The auction will feature major works from artists including Keith Tyson (winner of the British Turner Prize), Michele Oka Doner, Lita Albuquerque, Maya Lin, Subodh Gupta and Olafur Eliasson. Other lots will include coveted celebrity experiences, upscale eco-vacations and exquisite jewelry.
You can bid to win a swim lesson with Olympic gold medalist Aaron Peirsol, who is a member of Oceana’s Ocean Council, or a walk-on role on the hit series "Bored to Death"starring Oceana board member Ted Danson. Also up for bid are a five-day stay at the Moulin du Breuil vineyard in France, a day with Hugh Jackman on the set of his new movie, VIP tickets to a Christina Aguilera concert, falconry lessons with Bobby Kennedy, Jr. and much more.
The event is supported by Barneys New York, NBC Universal and Deutsche Bank Climate Change Advisors. More information can be found in this Reuters news story.
We’re adding new items every day. If you’d like to contribute to this amazing event with a work of art, a travel package, piece of jewelry or otherwise, please send me an email at [email protected]. In the meantime, please visit A Bid to Save the Earth for more information on this incredible, one-of-a-kind charity auction.
[Andy Sharpless is the CEO of Oceana.]
- Ocean Roundup: Chevron Withdraws Drilling Plans from the Arctic, Peru Issues Ban on Shrimp Fishing, and More Posted Fri, December 19, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Humpback Whales Communicate to Feed at Night, Bangladesh Oil Spill Threatening Sundarbans Mangroves, and More Posted Wed, December 17, 2014
- Holiday Creature Feature: Christmas Tree Worm and Candy Cane Shrimp Posted Fri, December 19, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Filefish Use Chemical Scent to Camouflage, Bangladesh Oil Spill Threatening Endangered Dolphins, and More Posted Mon, December 15, 2014
- Act: GrubHub, Take Shark Fin Off the Menu! Posted Wed, December 17, 2014