Of the nearly 9,000 of you who entered to win the Ocean IQ Quiz grand prize drawing, the winner is… (drum roll, please)
I spoke to Lori by phone yesterday and was thrilled to learn that she is passionate about ocean conservation -- particularly sea turtles.
The grand prize, an eco-vacation with SEE Turtles, happens to be a perfect fit. While she can’t take any more time off this year, she said she’s excited to choose a trip in 2011, and is already eyeing the trip to Costa Rica.
On a trip to Hawaii last year, she saw her first sea turtle while snorkeling. “It was incredible, I could hear him crunching, eating the algae off the rocks,” she said. “He turned and looked at me and kept right on eating. It was fascinating. I fell in love with them.”
Lori said she also loves sea turtles because she can relate to them. “On land they are clumsy and slow -- that’s me,” she said. In the water they turn into this fabulous creature that is so graceful, and wonderful. That’s kind of how I see myself, because I’m a real klutz.”
Lori lives in central Georgia and works for the Department of Defense, but she tries to get to the coast as much as possible. Last summer she got scuba certified, and she said spending time in the deep blue has ignited a fire in her to conserve coral reefs and the creatures that depend on them.
When she got the email congratulating her on the win, she didn’t believe it. “I thought, ‘Yeah right, what’s the catch?’ But when we wrote back and put her in touch with SEE Turtles, she knew it was real. “It took me a few days to let it sink in before I told my friends.”
- Obama Administration Approves Seismic Airgun Use off the Atlantic Coast In Spite of Local Opposition and Threats to Marine Life Posted Fri, July 18, 2014
- Setback for Shark Conservation: Hammerhead Sharks Denied Protection under Endangered Species Act Posted Tue, July 15, 2014
- Ocean News: Green Sea Turtle Makes Longest Migration Ever Recorded, Small Oil Spill Found off of Italy, and More Posted Mon, July 21, 2014
- Oceana Urges Stakeholders to Rebuild Chile's Fisheries at International Seminar Posted Tue, July 15, 2014
- North Atlantic Great White Sharks are Rebounding, but that’s Not the Case for All Species Posted Mon, July 21, 2014