The earthquake and subsequent tsunami that hit Chile in February were devastating to the Juan Fernández Islands, where we have been working with local communities to protect their marine resources. Robinson Crusoe Island was particularly hard-hit.
Oceana has been working with local divers organized by two local groups: Fundación Archipielago Juan Fernandez and the Robinson Crusoe Island Artisanal Fishermen Union. In September, they began the task of cleaning the wreckage left by the tsunami. Since then the team of divers has recovered tons of wreckage, including the grave you see in this chilling photo.
- Stocks Show Signs of Recovery, But Still Work to Do Posted Fri, May 17, 2013
- Disabled Killer Whale Survives with Help from Its Pod Posted Tue, May 21, 2013
- Oceana CEO Andy Sharpless Discusses His New Book, The Perfect Protein Posted Wed, May 22, 2013
- Happy World Turtle Day! Posted Thu, May 23, 2013
- Washington Passes Legislation to Fight Seafood Fraud Posted Fri, May 24, 2013