Andy Sharpless is the CEO of Oceana.
I wanted to give you advance notice of Christie’s Green Auction: A Bid to Save the Earth on March 29th at New York’s Rockefeller Center. This special event premiered last year, raising an unprecedented $2.4 million for Oceana, Conservation International, the Natural Resources Defense Council and the Central Park Conservancy.
I applaud Christie’s for its vision and initiative; every item up for bid is donated by generous supporters, and Christie’s is waiving all customary auction fees so that all proceeds benefit the groups.
A Bid to Save The Earth will include the live auction at Christie’s on March 29th as well as an online silent auction at Charity Buzz that started yesterday.
The auction features coveted celebrity experiences, upscale eco-vacations and other once-in-a-lifetime experiences. You can bid to win a day shadowing President Bill Clinton; a three-day getaway on the luxury super yacht Lady Sheridan during the Cannes Film Festival offered by the owners and Burgess Yachts; and a ten-night trip featuring the exceptional wildlife of Tanzania and the stunning beaches of Mozambique offered by Nomad Tanzania, Vamizi Island and Journeys by Design.
The online auction has begun so I encourage you to visit A Bid to Save the Earth to see the complete list of items and to get more information on this incredible, one-of-a-kind charity auction. The auction is posting new donations every day over the next week, so please visit early and often.
Christie’s has made a bold statement in its support of these environmental groups. Together, we have campaigns and supporters across 150 countries and all 7 continents and work to protect some of the world’s most critical ecosystems. I hope I can count on your support to participate in Christie’s Green Auction this year and make your own bid to save the earth.
- Chile Cancels September Crustacean Trawl to Protect Common Hake Posted Tue, August 26, 2014
- A Summer Reading List for Ocean Lovers: Ten Books to Read before Summer Ends Posted Thu, August 21, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Methane Seeping from U.S. Atlantic Seafloor, Iceland’s Caught Scores of Endangered Fin Whales, and More Posted Mon, August 25, 2014
- Ocean News: Nicaragua Dispatches Military to Protect Baby Turtles, New Zealand Bans Shark Finning, and More Posted Wed, August 20, 2014
- Creature Feature: Barnacles Posted Tue, August 26, 2014