Andy Sharpless is the CEO of Oceana.
Calling all Californians: Right now your Governor, Jerry Brown, is considering legislation that would effectively end the trade of shark fins. As you’re probably aware, trade in shark fins facilitates the practice of shark finning, which is one of the single biggest contributors to the collapse of shark populations around the globe.
The California State Senate passed a bill to end the trade in California, A.B. 376, earlier this month and we expect the governor to sign or veto the bill this week, so your rapid input is critical.
As a California resident, you can help make a real difference by calling Governor Brown’s office at (916) 445-0796 and asking him to sign A.B. 376 and to save sharks from finning.
Here is a sample of what you can tell the Governor:
Each year, tens of millions of sharks are killed for their fins, mostly to fulfill the demand for shark fin soup. California is one of the largest markets for shark fins outside of Asia, which means our state’s consumption of shark fin soup contributes to shark finning in other parts of the world, a practice that is driving numerous shark populations to the brink of extinction.
Passage of A.B. 376 will help to protect global populations of at-risk shark species that are being targeted in unsustainable and unregulated fisheries worldwide. As you are aware, similar legislation has already been signed in Washington and Oregon. By signing A.B. 376 into law, you not only have the power to stop our state’s contribution to the killing of millions of sharks annually, but also to send a message that the entire US West Coast will no longer play a role in the global decline of sharks.
Again, I urge you to sign this important legislation. Thank you for your time.
- Oceana’s 2014 Balearic Seamount Expedition: Diaries from the Field Posted Thu, August 28, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Great Barrier Reef to Stay Clear of Dredge Spoil, Louisiana Rapidly Losing Coastline, and More Posted Tue, September 2, 2014
- CITES Listing Countdown: Less Than Three Weeks until Porbeagle Sharks are Protected Posted Wed, August 27, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: 20 Coral Species to Gain Federal Protection, Shell Files New Plan for Arctic Drilling, and More Posted Fri, August 29, 2014
- Photos: Oceana in Belize Exposes Belizean Youth to the Wonder of the Sea Posted Wed, August 27, 2014