We're thrilled to report that last month, the Basque area of Jaizkibel has finally been nominated as a special area of conservation! Oceana made this recommendation back in 2010, and has been fighting for this nomination for years, making this victory all the sweeter to us.
The mountain range of Jaizkibel and the surrounding marine areas have suffered from the impact of coastal development, including into the Natura 2000 network, a European Union-wide network of protected areas established to protect Europe's most valuable and threatened species and habitats.
The area of Jaizkibel might not have meant anything to you before, but one look at these images and our full slideshow of shots from our 2008 expedition to the area will tell you that Jaizkibel is a truly remarkable and precious marine habitat!
- North Atlantic Great White Sharks are Rebounding, but that’s Not the Case for All Species Posted Mon, July 21, 2014
- Ocean News: New Maps Reveal Extent of Ocean Plastic, Florida Keys Launches Turtle Cam, and More Posted Wed, July 16, 2014
- Video: Oceana Exposes Illegal Drift Gillnet Use in Italy Posted Mon, July 21, 2014
- Video: Migratory 'Superhighway' Possibly Discovered Between Costa Rica and the Galapagos Posted Wed, July 16, 2014
- Ocean News: June 2014 Marked the Hottest on Record, Microplastics Worse for Crabs than Thought, and More Posted Tue, July 22, 2014