We're thrilled to report that last month, the Basque area of Jaizkibel has finally been nominated as a special area of conservation! Oceana made this recommendation back in 2010, and has been fighting for this nomination for years, making this victory all the sweeter to us.
The mountain range of Jaizkibel and the surrounding marine areas have suffered from the impact of coastal development, including into the Natura 2000 network, a European Union-wide network of protected areas established to protect Europe's most valuable and threatened species and habitats.
The area of Jaizkibel might not have meant anything to you before, but one look at these images and our full slideshow of shots from our 2008 expedition to the area will tell you that Jaizkibel is a truly remarkable and precious marine habitat!
- Ocean Roundup: 20 Coral Species to Gain Federal Protection, Shell Files New Plan for Arctic Drilling, and More Posted Fri, August 29, 2014
- Oceana Magazine: Chef’s Corner – Sam Talbot Posted Tue, September 2, 2014
- Photos: Oceana in Belize Exposes Belizean Youth to the Wonder of the Sea Posted Wed, August 27, 2014
- Conservation Groups Plan Lawsuit to Protect Sperm Whales Posted Fri, August 29, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Florida Receives Federal Help for Oyster Recovery, Climate Change Linked to Iceland’s Puffin Decline, and More Posted Thu, August 28, 2014