We're thrilled to report that last month, the Basque area of Jaizkibel has finally been nominated as a special area of conservation! Oceana made this recommendation back in 2010, and has been fighting for this nomination for years, making this victory all the sweeter to us.
The mountain range of Jaizkibel and the surrounding marine areas have suffered from the impact of coastal development, including into the Natura 2000 network, a European Union-wide network of protected areas established to protect Europe's most valuable and threatened species and habitats.
The area of Jaizkibel might not have meant anything to you before, but one look at these images and our full slideshow of shots from our 2008 expedition to the area will tell you that Jaizkibel is a truly remarkable and precious marine habitat!
- Oceana Magazine, Dr. Pauly Column: How Do We Know How Many Fish There Are in The Sea? Posted Fri, October 17, 2014
- Bird Casualties from BP’s Gulf Spill Much Higher than Original Estimates Posted Tue, October 21, 2014
- On World Food Day, A Look at Six of The Most Commonly Mislabeled Seafood Options Posted Thu, October 16, 2014
- Video: Oceana’s “Drill, Spill, Repeat” Documentary Wins Award at Sunscreen Film Fest Posted Thu, October 23, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Lionfish Being Fed to Reef Sharks, New Polymer Could Reduce Shark Bycatch, and More Posted Mon, October 20, 2014