When you think of your favorite seafood dishes, we’re pretty sure that jellyfish is not on your list. But this often-overlooked sea creature can be the star of some very tasty dishes. In the recent issue of Oceana magazine, we featured Chef Mario Batali’s recipe for jellyfish salad.
Chef Mario Batali runs a vast empire of Italian cooking in the United States—from the Michelin-rated Del Posto to the bustling Eatly market. Recently, he signed on to Oceana’s letter encouraging Congress to require seafood traceability, along with more than 450 other chefs, restaurant owners, and culinary leaders. This recipe for jellyfish salad appears in the new book The Perfect Protein: A Fish Lover’s Guide to Saving the Oceans and Feeding the World, by Oceana CEO Andy Sharpless and Suzannah Evans.
Jellyfish Salad with Golden Tomatoes, Opal Basil, and Arugula
By Mario Batali, originally published by Clarkson Potter
1 pound salted jellyfish
4 1-inch slices peasant bread, grilled or tossed
2 tablespoons best quality extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
1 pint yellow and red pear tomatoes, halved
10 opal basil leaves, finely shredded
1 bunch arugula
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Rinse the jellyfish under cold water. Remove and discard the tentacles, then cut the body into thin slices.
Place the jellyfish slices in a large bowl.
Drizzle each bread slice with some of the olive oil.
Add the tomatoes, basil, and arugula to the bowl with the jellyfish. Add the vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper and toss well to coat evenly. Divide the salad among four chilled dinner plates and serve with a slice of bread.
- Ocean News: U.S. to Auction Off New Jersey Area for Offshore Wind, Baby Sea Turtles Found to Make Noises, and More Posted Fri, July 18, 2014
- Video: Spangled Emperor Fish Dazzle the Great Barrier Reef Posted Wed, July 23, 2014
- Marine Mammal Unusual Mortality Events Get the Spotlight on Capitol Hill Posted Fri, July 18, 2014
- Obama Administration Approves Seismic Airgun Use off the Atlantic Coast In Spite of Local Opposition and Threats to Marine Life Posted Fri, July 18, 2014
- Ocean News: Green Sea Turtle Makes Longest Migration Ever Recorded, Small Oil Spill Found off of Italy, and More Posted Mon, July 21, 2014