It’s International Polar Bear Day! It’s a day created to bring awareness to polar bear conservation, and to simply take a moment to recognize the overall awesomeness that is the polar bear. Polar bears have many extraordinary physical abilities and are stunningly beautiful, so having an entire day of every year dedicated to them is a no-brainer.
The unofficial king of the Arctic ice, they’re the largest mammalian carnivore. Take a look at our Creature Feature on the polar bear to and see how one animal can be fierce, resourceful and cuddly all at the same time.
Like other arctic animals, polar bears are in danger as climate change affects seasonal sea ice. You can help Oceana protect them by adopting a polar bear for someone special (or yourself) as a donation toward our efforts addressing the threats to Arctic wildlife.
- Oceana Magazine: Tuna in Trouble Posted Mon, August 25, 2014
- CITES Listing Countdown: Less Than Three Weeks until Porbeagle Sharks are Protected Posted Wed, August 27, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: 20 Coral Species to Gain Federal Protection, Shell Files New Plan for Arctic Drilling, and More Posted Fri, August 29, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Maine’s Scallop Fishery Could See Closures, Sydney Harbor Littered with Microplastics, and More Posted Tue, August 26, 2014
- Photos: Oceana in Belize Exposes Belizean Youth to the Wonder of the Sea Posted Wed, August 27, 2014