It’s International Polar Bear Day! It’s a day created to bring awareness to polar bear conservation, and to simply take a moment to recognize the overall awesomeness that is the polar bear. Polar bears have many extraordinary physical abilities and are stunningly beautiful, so having an entire day of every year dedicated to them is a no-brainer.
The unofficial king of the Arctic ice, they’re the largest mammalian carnivore. Take a look at our Creature Feature on the polar bear to and see how one animal can be fierce, resourceful and cuddly all at the same time.
Like other arctic animals, polar bears are in danger as climate change affects seasonal sea ice. You can help Oceana protect them by adopting a polar bear for someone special (or yourself) as a donation toward our efforts addressing the threats to Arctic wildlife.
- Ocean News: Cape Cod Embraces Shark Spottings, Rare White Southern Right Whale Calf Spotted off Australia, and More Posted Tue, July 29, 2014
- Offshore Wind Farms Are Foraging Grounds for Seals Posted Fri, August 1, 2014
- No-Take Zones in Belize Could Rebuild Conch, Lobster, and Grouper Populations Posted Tue, July 29, 2014
- Impacts of Climate Change on Highly Migratory Species Prioritized in NMFS Management Plan Posted Tue, July 29, 2014
- Ocean News: Climate Change Threatens Red Knots, Pacific Island Leaders Meet to Discuss Ocean Conservation, and More Posted Wed, July 30, 2014