In honor of Discovery’s Shark Week, The Beacon will be celebrating the wonders of sharks through Friday. With over 350 shark species, the class Chondrichthyes is full of biodiversity, from sawfish to manta rays and famous great white sharks.
This week, we’re asking our readers to weigh in your favorite shark species. You have until Thursday, August 14 at 11:59 p.m. to pick one of the shark species below (take a look beneath the poll for a glimpse of each species), and whichever shark gets the most votes will be featured on The Beacon on Friday with a full species bio.
Without further adieu, cast your vote, shark lovers!
Galapagos Shark (Carcharhinus galapagensis)
(Photo: Oceana / Eduardo Sorensen)
White Tip Reef Shark (Triaenodon obesus)
(Photo: Oceana / Houssine Kaddachi)
Great White Shark (Carcharodon carcharias)
(Photo: Scubaben / Flickr Creative Commons)
Scalloped Hammerhead Shark (Sphyrna lewini)
(Photo: Oceana / Rob Stewart)
Caribbean Reef Shark (Carcharhinus perezi)
(Photo: Oceana / Carlos Suárez)
- Ocean Roundup: Lionfish Being Fed to Reef Sharks, New Polymer Could Reduce Shark Bycatch, and More Posted Mon, October 20, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Baby Sea Turtles Tracked with Tiny Tags, Canada Restricts Large Area from Commercial Fishing, and More Posted Wed, October 22, 2014
- Oceana Magazine Supporter Spotlight: Jean-Cristophe Vie Posted Thu, October 23, 2014
- Photos, Video: Oceana Wraps Up Canary Islands Expedition after Discovering Vast Biodiversity Posted Mon, October 20, 2014
- CEO Note: Wyss Foundation Paves the Way for Oceana to Rebuild Fisheries in Peru, Canada Posted Wed, October 22, 2014