In honor of Discovery’s Shark Week, The Beacon will be celebrating the wonders of sharks through Friday. With over 350 shark species, the class Chondrichthyes is full of biodiversity, from sawfish to manta rays and famous great white sharks.
This week, we’re asking our readers to weigh in your favorite shark species. You have until Thursday, August 14 at 11:59 p.m. to pick one of the shark species below (take a look beneath the poll for a glimpse of each species), and whichever shark gets the most votes will be featured on The Beacon on Friday with a full species bio.
Without further adieu, cast your vote, shark lovers!
Galapagos Shark (Carcharhinus galapagensis)
(Photo: Oceana / Eduardo Sorensen)
White Tip Reef Shark (Triaenodon obesus)
(Photo: Oceana / Houssine Kaddachi)
Great White Shark (Carcharodon carcharias)
(Photo: Scubaben / Flickr Creative Commons)
Scalloped Hammerhead Shark (Sphyrna lewini)
(Photo: Oceana / Rob Stewart)
Caribbean Reef Shark (Carcharhinus perezi)
(Photo: Oceana / Carlos Suárez)
- Ocean Roundup: Penguin Chick Survivorship Influenced by Weather, Norway Cuts Seal Hunting Subsidies, and More Posted Tue, October 28, 2014
- Graphics: New Oceana Study Finds Shrimp Misrepresented in the U.S. Posted Thu, October 30, 2014
- Sam Talbot's Fish Tacos with Tomato Salsa and Citrus Crema Posted Fri, October 24, 2014
- Celebrate National Seafood Month with This Sustainable Recipe: Diver Scallops Posted Wed, October 29, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Seagrass Travels via Ocean Currents, Plump Leatherbacks Can Swim More Easily, and More Posted Thu, October 30, 2014