In honor of Discovery’s Shark Week, The Beacon will be celebrating the wonders of sharks through Friday. With over 350 shark species, the class Chondrichthyes is full of biodiversity, from sawfish to manta rays and famous great white sharks.
This week, we’re asking our readers to weigh in your favorite shark species. You have until Thursday, August 14 at 11:59 p.m. to pick one of the shark species below (take a look beneath the poll for a glimpse of each species), and whichever shark gets the most votes will be featured on The Beacon on Friday with a full species bio.
Without further adieu, cast your vote, shark lovers!
Galapagos Shark (Carcharhinus galapagensis)
(Photo: Oceana / Eduardo Sorensen)
White Tip Reef Shark (Triaenodon obesus)
(Photo: Oceana / Houssine Kaddachi)
Great White Shark (Carcharodon carcharias)
(Photo: Scubaben / Flickr Creative Commons)
Scalloped Hammerhead Shark (Sphyrna lewini)
(Photo: Oceana / Rob Stewart)
Caribbean Reef Shark (Carcharhinus perezi)
(Photo: Oceana / Carlos Suárez)
- Oceana’s New Report Highlights Uses, Benefits of Global Fishing Watch Technology Posted Mon, November 17, 2014
- Video: Humpback Whales Cause Quite the Surprise As They Hunt for Herring Posted Wed, November 19, 2014
- On World Fisheries Day, A Look at Oceana’s Work to Create Sustainable Fisheries (Photos) Posted Fri, November 21, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Humpback Whale Scars Can Reveal Migration Patterns, Sea Star Die-Offs Linked to Virus, and More Posted Tue, November 18, 2014
- Extroverted Sharks and Stressed Penguins: Uncovering Personality in Ocean Animals Posted Wed, November 19, 2014