In honor of Discovery’s Shark Week, The Beacon will be celebrating the wonders of sharks through Friday. With over 350 shark species, the class Chondrichthyes is full of biodiversity, from sawfish to manta rays and famous great white sharks.
This week, we’re asking our readers to weigh in your favorite shark species. You have until Thursday, August 14 at 11:59 p.m. to pick one of the shark species below (take a look beneath the poll for a glimpse of each species), and whichever shark gets the most votes will be featured on The Beacon on Friday with a full species bio.
Without further adieu, cast your vote, shark lovers!
Galapagos Shark (Carcharhinus galapagensis)
(Photo: Oceana / Eduardo Sorensen)
White Tip Reef Shark (Triaenodon obesus)
(Photo: Oceana / Houssine Kaddachi)
Great White Shark (Carcharodon carcharias)
(Photo: Scubaben / Flickr Creative Commons)
Scalloped Hammerhead Shark (Sphyrna lewini)
(Photo: Oceana / Rob Stewart)
Caribbean Reef Shark (Carcharhinus perezi)
(Photo: Oceana / Carlos Suárez)
- Ocean News: Sea Turtle Nesting in Florida Sees Steady Increase, 2014 Could Be Hottest on Record, and More Posted Tue, October 21, 2014
- New Shark Repellent May Keep Sharks from Becoming Bycatch Posted Wed, October 22, 2014
- CEO Note: President Obama Designates Largest Marine Reserve in the World Posted Fri, October 17, 2014
- CEO Note: Introducing Lars “Lasse” Gustavsson, Oceana in Europe’s New Senior Vice President and Executive Director Posted Tue, October 21, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Federal Agencies Called Out on Ocean Acidification Inaction, Steller Sea Lions May Have a New Predator, and More Posted Thu, October 16, 2014