Blog Tags: Bait And Switch Report
Do you eat seafood? If not, do your friends and loved ones? We think almost everyone out there will answer yes to this, which is why we are launching a campaign today to tackle the problem of seafood fraud.
Last week we gave you a preview of our new seafood fraud campaign, but today, with the launch of a new report, our campaign is officially kicking off.
Oceana’s new report, titled “Bait and Switch: How Seafood Fraud Hurts Our Oceans, Our Wallets and Our Health,” explains how consumers are being misled about the seafood they buy, with negative impacts on their wallets, marine conservation efforts and human health.
Inside the report you’ll find information about the following:
- What is seafood fraud? - We explain the different types of seafood fraud, which share this basic fact in common: you aren’t getting what you pay for.
- Examples of commonly mislabeled seafood - What seafood should you be especially wary of? We give you the lowdown.
- Do you know the origins of your seafood? - We take you through the steps your seafood might have taken from the boat to your plate.
- Health risks of seafood fraud - Learn about the serious consequences to misleading consumers about seafood - from allergic reactions to the potentially debilitating condition called ciguatera.
- Conservation impacts of seafood fraud - Find out how seafood fraud creates a market for illegal fishing and hinders consumer efforts like seafood cards.
- Tips for consumers - With all of this in mind, here are some tips for when you’re shopping for fish.
And you can also take action right now by telling the FDA that our seafood needs to be safe, legal, and honestly labeled.
Check out the full report, and please share with your friends and family! And as always, let us know what you think.