Blog Tags: Crustaceans
- Several Members of Parliament have called out the UK government for acting “too slow” on marine conservation. A program launched four years ago called for protection of 127 areas of marine habitat, but only about one-fifth of the areas have received protection so far. BBC News UK
The oarfish is the longest bony fish in the world -- there have even been some reports of fish up to 50 feet long (and weighing up to 600 pounds)! They are so long that many believe that these fish are the cause of some early tales of sea serpents and sea monsters. Because of its sinuous body, it is occasionally called the ribbonfish.
- Photos: Oceana in Belize Exposes Belizean Youth to the Wonder of the Sea Posted Wed, August 27, 2014
- Conservation Groups Plan Lawsuit to Protect Sperm Whales Posted Fri, August 29, 2014
- Chile Cancels September Crustacean Trawl to Protect Common Hake Posted Tue, August 26, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Florida Receives Federal Help for Oyster Recovery, Climate Change Linked to Iceland’s Puffin Decline, and More Posted Thu, August 28, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Methane Seeping from U.S. Atlantic Seafloor, Iceland’s Caught Scores of Endangered Fin Whales, and More Posted Mon, August 25, 2014