Blog Tags: Dana Point
Whale watchers off of Dana Point, California were treated to an exhilarating sight this weekend, witnessing a spectacular if unusual phenomenon: the so-called dolphin stampede.
All at once a massive pod of 1,000 dolphins turned the waters around Capt. Dave's Dolphin and Whale Safari boat white, seemingly engaged in one one observer described as a "race", at times topping 25 mph. While the sight of a dolphin stampede is extremely rare, tours by this operator encountered the phenomenon twice this weekend, once on Saturday and once on Sunday.
It is unknown why the dolphins "stampede" or what prompts the bizarre but breathtaking behavior.
- Ocean News: Green Sea Turtle Makes Longest Migration Ever Recorded, Small Oil Spill Found off of Italy, and More Posted Mon, July 21, 2014
- North Atlantic Great White Sharks are Rebounding, but that’s Not the Case for All Species Posted Mon, July 21, 2014
- Video: Oceana Exposes Illegal Drift Gillnet Use in Italy Posted Mon, July 21, 2014
- Ocean News: June 2014 Marked the Hottest on Record, Microplastics Worse for Crabs than Thought, and More Posted Tue, July 22, 2014
- Tackling Illegal Fishing in Italy: Behind the Scenes Posted Tue, July 22, 2014