Blog Tags: Elephant Seals
Scientists have recently published a paper revealing that Northern elephant seals in California contracted swine flu (H1N1) during the epidemic that affected thousands of people in 2010. This is the first time that this virus has been discovered in marine mammals, establishing Northern elephant seals as vectors for human pandemics and determining that this strain of influenza can travel between species.
- President Obama Designates World’s Largest Marine Protected Area in Pacific Ocean Posted Thu, September 25, 2014
- Recent Marine Fossil Discoveries Provide Insight on Ancient Ocean Inhabitants Posted Wed, October 1, 2014
- Meet a Tiny Crab Species That’s Not into Long-Term Relationships Posted Sat, September 27, 2014
- Video: Rare Blue Whale Footage Captured Off California Posted Tue, September 30, 2014
- Will EU Member States Live Up To Their Common Fisheries Policy Commitments? Posted Thu, September 25, 2014