Blog Tags: Lisa Murkowski
Today, the Senate stood up for our environment, clean air and scientific decision-making by beating back a resolution from Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) that would have undercut the Environmental Protection Agency’s authority to regulate greenhouse gases.
As oil continues to gush into the Gulf of Mexico, this resolution would have given Big Oil free reign to continue polluting while tying EPA’s hands from taking any action.
Thanks to the Deepwater Drilling Disaster, the issue of dependence on oil is more important than ever.
Tell your Senators to Vote NO on the Murkowski Resolution, S.J Res. 26, on June 10th!
While oil spill covers the beaches and marshes of the Gulf of Mexico, Big Oil goes after the Clean Air Act and tries to defeat action on climate change.
The Senate will vote this Thursday, June 10, on legislation that would increase America’s dependence on oil by blocking just-finalized rules that require new cars to use less oil. Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska is spearheading the effort, backed by Big Oil.
Efforts to block all or part of the Clean Air Act and EPA's ability to use this keystone environmental law to address climate change would seriously undermine the overwhelming science of climate change and further exacerbate impacts to national security and public health and welfare. Additionally, these efforts hold back billions of dollars in job-creating clean energy investments all across the country. America has the ability to lead the world in growing the clean energy economy but our continued dependence on fossil fuels does nothing to drive investments in the clean energy and efficiency programs needed to spur local economic development and job growth.
The Clean Air Act has cost-effectively protected our citizens and the environment for decades. In a 2007 landmark decision the Supreme Court ruled the Clean Air Act covers greenhouse gases and now is the time to put this law to work to fight climate change.
The Murkowski Resolution would undermine long-overdue action to protect Americans citizens and our oceans from climate change impacts and jeopardize growing a vibrant clean energy economy.
Click here to tell your Senators to Vote NO on the Murkowski Resolution, S.J Res. 26, on June 10th!
- Live Action Role-Play for the Baltic Sea: Finding New Ways to Address Environmental Troubles Posted Mon, September 29, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: Giant Cuttlefish Decline Remains a Mystery, President Obama Creates World's Largest MPA, and More Posted Thu, September 25, 2014
- Oceana Magazine: Q&A with Justin Winters, Executive Director of Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation Posted Fri, September 26, 2014
- Ocean Roundup: UN Sounds Alarm on Mangrove Disappearance, Brazil to Triple Marine Protected Areas, and More Posted Tue, September 30, 2014
- President Obama Designates World’s Largest Marine Protected Area in Pacific Ocean Posted Thu, September 25, 2014