Blog Tags: National Marine Fisheries Service
Let's start with the good news: As of yesterday, July 1, California's shark fin ban (passed in 2011) officially came into effect! California grocers that stocked shark fins and restaurants that offered shark fin soup on the menu had 18 months to move their product. During the 18 month interim, the Los Angeles Times reports that one San Gabriel Valley restaurant specializing in the delicacy shut down, while several retailers in Chinatown bemoaned the large stock of shark fins still at hand.
- Video: Migratory 'Superhighway' Possibly Discovered Between Costa Rica and the Galapagos Posted Wed, July 16, 2014
- Ocean News: June 2014 Marked the Hottest on Record, Microplastics Worse for Crabs than Thought, and More Posted Tue, July 22, 2014
- Creature Feature: Ochre Sea Star Posted Wed, July 16, 2014
- Tackling Illegal Fishing in Italy: Behind the Scenes Posted Tue, July 22, 2014
- Ocean News: Whale Sharks Visiting Azore Islands More Frequently, Volunteers Help Disabled Sea Turtle Nest, and More Posted Thu, July 17, 2014